Even though my little ones are very good eaters, they still have some things that they will not eat. Cauliflower is one of those.
However, the only vegetable that I had available yesterday was just that. Being determined that they should eat some kind of vegetable each day, I decided to make cauliflower cheese, hoping they would like it.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 300ml milk
- 220 cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 50g butter
- 25g fresh breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1/2 tsp dried english mustard
- salt and peppar (optional)
- nutmeg (optional)
- Trim and boil cauliflower until tender, about 10-15 mins. Drain and and place in buttered oven-proof dish.
- Melt butter, add flour. Stir until smooth. Add milk. Whisk continuously until sauce thickens, boils and is smooth. Simmer for another 2 mins.
- Add 3/4 of grated cheese and seasoning. Cook for a further minute.
- Pour sauce over cauliflower.
- Mix remaining cheese and breadcrumbs (if using) and sprinkle over the top.
- Place under hot grill until golden brown OR place in preheated (225C/450F) oven for 15-20 mins, until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
*Note. This recipe is also delicious with root vegetables and/or broccoli.