Friday 16 April 2010

Baked Kale Chips


Not being much of a snacking house-hold normally, we almost never have any snacks at home. But since not feeling so well and a bit sorry for myself, I quite fancied something "comforting" like a bag of crisps or something to munch on .... but there was nothing like that in sight and while I raided the fridge for something to satisfy my needs, I remembered this recipe that I came across recently (can't remember where now).

Ingredients:
Bag of Kale (can be purple, curly or any other Kale you can find)
Olive Oil
Salt

Preheat oven 175C (350F). Wash kale and make sure it is completely dry. Remove stem and tear leaves in bite-size pieces (remember that they will shrink in the oven). Put in bowl. Mix with as little or as much olive oil as you wish. I put a spoonful, which was more than enough. Spread out on baking sheet. Sprinkle with seasalt.Bake for 10-15 mins, until the leaves turn brown but NOT burnt !

May look a bit "suspicious" to begin with but absolutely delicious and quite healthy too ! And I guess, if you wanted to make it more interesting, you could add for example roasted pine nuts, sesame seeds etc. ? However, perfect as it is.

Ps. Make sure you don't have too much on the tray, otherwise you may end up with some crunchy and nice ones and some that are not cooked properly.... like I did.

Again, this is so simple that even your little toddler could help you make it and may be a great way to get your LOs to their greens !

No comments: