Tuesday 17 March 2009

Not Super-Mum After All


Had a bit of an emotional day today. Can not believe I let it get so bad until I noticed anything !

I noticed that she (my lovely Golden Retriever) had some kind of skin irritation on her belly a couple of days ago. Obviously, it was really bothering her because she could not stop licking it.
By this morning, it looked really sore and completely bald. I rushed her over to our vet on Elisabeth Street, London.

She was diagnosed with a condition called Pyotraumatic Dermatitis, apparently quite common in Golden Retrievers but the vet told me that it was one of the worst cases he has ever seen ! I felt terrible ! How did I not notice anything until it got so bad ??? !!!

The vet discovered it in 5 different places, which they had to shave to keep clean. Poor dog... it looks so sore ! They injected her with some steroids and gave us some creams and tablets to take home.

I was filled with guilt seeing the open sores on her body. I love her so much and seeing her like this breaks my heart. She has lived in 3 different countries with me and gone through lots of ups and downs with me. I used to take her with me everywhere.

But since the children arrived plus starting a new business, I have not had the time or the energy to look after her as I did before. She is still well looked after but she is not the only baby anymore, the focus has shifted.

Ps. The vet reassured me that this condition can appear "suddenly" and can be due to many factors (allergies, flea bites, weather conditions etc.) that I, as her "mum", could not possibly control or help. We will run some blood-tests etc. and hopefully find out the cause of it soon.

1 comment:

Adam Murby said...

You little blogger! And you are a super person, so you must be a super mum. No one is a perfect Mum though, so you can breathe easy.... x